Wednesday 8 August 2012

Blushing: MAC Stratus review

When I started REALLY getting into make up, I recall searching YouTube for videos on how to create cheekbones and contour my face using bronzer. I went through a big phase of bronzer use for a long while and looking back now, I definitely got it wrong. Wrong colours, wrong application techniques, the works.

I didn't get into actual blusher until quite a while later, when there was a real hype over creating the perfect Kim K smokey eye and all the cheek and lip looks that came with it. My first blush buy was the infamous Nars "Deep Throat" which I have had for over a year now and it's still going strong. Soon after came MAC "Style", a gorgeous shimmery peach-coral sheer tone. I use them both regularly, more so than any other blushes I own.

However, there's a new kid in town. Joining my collection is the very beautiful "Stratus", a mineralise blush from MAC in the limited edition collection Heavenly Creature. I was originally looking to get "Solar Ray" after seeing it in Grazia, but swatching showed it was too light for my colouring (Normally NC35, Chanel 40, Armani 6-7). As I have got a good tan from my gallivanting abroad this summer, I'm even darker than usual and upon swatching Stratus it was a winner for me.




It is a gorgeous swirl of shimmery plum and gold. I barely have to pat my brush onto the pan to get a decent colour pay off on the cheek. I would say its mineralise finish formulation requires some reasonable effort to blend, compared to a sheer tone, but it's by no means hard to work with, just needs a little attention.





The finish looks great, I don't need to contour or highlight after; the tones combined just work to do both. Use very little for daily wear, or swirl it up for night-time glam. Just don't forget to blend blend blend with this one.
I'd definitely recommend it for olive skin tones. If this isn't you, do check out the rest of the collection as they had some absolutely gorgeous ones. The collection IS Limited Edition, so take a peak soon at your nearest MAC or their website.
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment