Saturday 8 October 2011

Review: L'oreal Volume Million Lashes Luminizer Mascara. Does it really make my brown eyes stand out?

So, when one goes to Superdrug to buy a L'oreal Carbon Gloss liquid liner, one will of course indulge in a 3 for 2 Offer across all L'oreal products. Even when one is waiting to get paid. *Insert face of disgust here*


Anyway, as I saw the offer, I was drawn in by the Volume Million Lashes mascara, but in particular, the Luminizer range. The packaging was pretty, I couldn't help it. 






I have heard about Volume Million Lashes for years, due to L'oreal's extensive advertising campaigns, but never gave it a go.  The Luminizer comes in three shades, with light reflecting micro pigments to compliment different eye colours; hazel/brown eyes, blue eyes and green eyes.  I of course, with my brown eyes opted for the appropriate shade.


When you open up the wand from the tube, you discover a gorgeous rubber bristle brush, covered in a lovely, almost metallic purple mascara formula.

Inside the tube is an "excess wiper" which "leaves the brush coated with just the right amount of formula to achieve the look of maxed up volume with no overload and no clumps." according to the L'oreal website.  I have to say I agree; when removing the brush, you can clearly see a nice even coverage of mascara formula all over the brush AND application is beautiful. Seriously - NO clumps! And it gives my eyelashes amazing volume I haven't experienced before from any other mascara, so I already know I will definitely re-buy.  And I received compliments on my eyes on the first day I wore it.


But does it make my brown eyes pop, compared to any other BLACK mascara?

I decided to give it a mini-roadtest against my beloved Maybelline Collosal Volume Mascara today.  I have been re-buying this for at least two years now.  So who is number one?


I tested them both at the same time, applying Maybelline to my right eye (the one you can see on the left) and the L'oreal to my left eye (you see on the right).  Here goes...

Before Mascara

One Coat (After Curling)
(Maybelline)                                            (L'oreal)

No flash

  (Maybelline)                                            (L'oreal)



It's obvious to me (and hopefully you too) that the L'oreal side appears much more volumised in comparison to the Maybelline'd lashes. But would I saw it made that eye pop more? Hmmm not sure.  It should also be noted that the eye I applied the L'oreal to, has always been my "bigger" eye.  I think the sheer volume created by the L'oreal is eye-popping alone.


Two coats
  (Maybelline)                                            (L'oreal)

Two coats has always been much more effective with my trusty Maybelline, but compared to the L'oreal, it seriously looks like I have nothing on my lashes. Which is a good thing I guess for everyday can't-be-bothered makeup.  But if anything this experiment has lead me to conclude that there are better volumising mascaras than Maybelline Collosal Volume.

I also find it interesting (and maybe you agree) that the L'oreal actually makes my lashes appear BLACKER even though its formula isn't even black. In the second coat picture, I can see the hint of purple in my eyelashes and I actually do think that those lashes draw you into my normal brown eyes, much more than Maybelline does.


The one CON to this L'oreal Luminizer Mascara?

It's not waterproof!! To be fair, the only think that makes it smudge and transfer onto my skin is WATER.  It actually lasts well throughout the day without a problem.  But due to my job as a Swimming Teacher, when the kids get a little excited and splash me, I definitely get a case of the panda eye!



I hope anyone who was thinking of buying the Luminizer mascara found this helpful.  In a nutshell I would definitely recommend it.  My certainty on the colour-popping capabilities is not close to 100%, but it really does volumise your lashes.  Give it a try. Bet you'll get a compliment or two ;)



xo

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing this review. I do find it helpful, especially when you make the side-by-side road test. Is the purple tint on your lashes noticeable?

    ReplyDelete