Sunday 30 October 2011

Review and How-To-Wear: Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Eyeshadow in EBLOUI



Earlier this month, a company I model for in Holland flew me over for a day shoot.  The first time I worked for them back in July, I flew via London City airport, a little airport in East London, where you can check in 15 minutes before departure time.  Which was lovely and convenient as I was running very late thanks to the wonders of the DLR and signal failures etc, and it's not THAT far away so I was lucky to make it.


Anyway this month, they booked my flight to go from Heathrow.  Which takes about 2 hours realistically from door-to-departure-lounge.  Which I wasn't thrilled about as it involves having to take the joyous London Underground.  Bah.  But for once I was running nicely early and despite the Picadilly Line's attempts to make me weep with it's RIDICULOUS delays, I got to Heathrow bang on time for the 2-hour-before-flight check-in time.  And it's no secret that Heathrow boasts some pretty impressive retail therapy outlets.


I strolled over to the Chanel counter hoping that they would have some Soleil Tan De Chanel aka Bronze Universal in stock.  But NO.  Just like every other counter/website I have checked out in the last 2 months.  But I stayed to browse and decided to make the most of my Duty-Free opportunity and buy one of the Illusion D'Ombre eyeshadows, that I had been lusting over for a while.


Earlier research led me to want to invest in one of the grey/silver shades but the LHR Chanel counter only had two shades left in stock; ILLUSIORE (dark purple/silver) and the one I went for, EBLOUI.  I swatched them both at the counter but I fell so in love with Ebloui, I had to have that one as it was unlike any colour I had seen, let alone owned.




5 words to describe the colour: Rusty, Red-Brown, Warm, Shimmery.  The consistency is smooth and mousse-like, and is described as a powder-cream texture by Chanel.  It looks stunning.






Most people I have seen talk about the D'Ombre shadows say finger application works best.  It does however, come with an angled brush that can be clicked into place to make a decent long-handle, then clicked back into a compact size.


I really like the brush, not just for the fact that it looks good on my dressing table.  It's nice for packing on the colour and also applying the colour as a day-time wearable liner.

And now for some swatches:



I have shown here how versatile the shadow is.  It can be very lightly applied as seen on the right, for a subtle, pretty day to day look.  The left swatch really shows off the ombre effect.  The potential for instant smokey eye is evident.  And I can't tell you how much it feels like a dream to touch and apply.

And here I am:

This was at the end of the night when I had came back from the Joe & Jagged Edge concert.  I wish I had taken a photo when my makeup was fresh, but considering it had been on for 7 hours, it looks pretty good.

I used a normal fluffy brush to blend out the harsh line that was in the socket and added a tiny bit of silver/white shimmer to the inner corner of my eye from a Sleek Palette.  I lined my eyes with L'oreal Carbon Gloss Superliner and used loads of L'oreal Volume Million Luminiser Mascara.



Even the way I wore it doesn't do it much justice to show off how far it can go for an intense eye look.  But it really does do something for my ordinary brown eyes.

A word of warning though.  Don't rub your eyes.  I found it doesn't truly dry on to your skin and while it does have some brilliant staying power.  Also, make sure you truly close the lid of the pot once you've finished using it, as they have a reputation for drying up and shrivelling to nothing.
Price:  Expensive definitely.  It's usual RRP is £22.50 but in duty-free I got it for £18! Which sounds so much better...


Time to go..

xo




No comments:

Post a Comment